Internationalization / Localization

Functionalities for internationalization (i18n) and localization (l10n) will help non-English speaking people make more use of Flying Logic.

I do not mean i18n/l10n themselves but functionalities for i18n/l10n such as Java property ResourceBundle classes and property files. By using such functionalities, users can replace menus and messages by themselves.

I notice that property files for German are already included in Flying Logic but it turned out that they have nothing to do with i18n/l10. However, the fact make me think about the standard Java i18n/l10 mechanism using ResourceBundle classes and property files.

Flying Logic is a great tool for every enterprise, I bet. However, as long as Japanese small and medium enterprises concerned for example, the language barrier is quite important. With i18n/l10n functionalities, third parties, open source communities in particular, will be able to provide property files for their preferred languages.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. As you rightly point out, the “property files for German” that are in the Flying Logic bundle are part of a third-party library we use that happens to originate in Germany, and none of those resources ever appear in the Flying Logic UI.

We do license our documentation under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, that allows you to create and distribute translations of the documentation into any language.

I realize that is not the same as translating the user interface, but supporting as many locales as we can is definitely part of our plans.

2 Likes