Software Design: Dataflow Diagram

In addition to creating Flying Logic, I also do work in the cryptocurrency space. One piece of software I wrote, KeyTool, uses a fairly complex data flow model, where various structures can be derived from others. This was a perfect application of Flying Logic. Here is the dataflow diagram and the FL document:

Derivations.xlogic (186.3 KB)

3 Likes

That is great. Thanks Wolf, now it opens up perfectly. BTW, this example made me think how DAG’s are related to Blockchain. Not being a programmer, I never thought about this. Wow, you opened my eyes in terms of the importance of DAG’s in everyday life, programming, excel…and of course decision making. Maybe this is something you should expand upon.
FYI…I revived an older thread on DAG’s in the Tinderbox forum…here: Shaping a map into an outline - #17 by TomD - Agents, Actions and Automation - Tinderbox Forum You might want to watch. I mentioned FL to get feedback. I would love to hear your contribution to the thread from a DAG perspective (I know developers are sensitive about product dropping on their forums.)

Anyway, I would love to see better tie in between Flying Logic & (Excel | Tinderbox). I think in Tinderbox, Analyze in Excel and now(starting to learn how to) test logic in Flying Logic.

Tom

DAGs are literally everywhere!

The derivation paths you see in the diagram above are one place DAGs are used in blockchain. Another is in how Unspent Transaction Outputs (UTXOs) are combined in transaction inputs and then divided again in transaction outputs. The fact that each input must be previously unspent means the graph has no cycles, in other words, a DAG. So Bitcoin transactions form a DAG, while the Bitcoin ledger blocks themselves are a simple linked list. But there are proposals for emerging crypto technology where the blocks themselves also form a DAG. One of them is Spacemesh:

Very Interesting Wolf.